Unfortunately, during early pregnancy, expectant mothers often experience the unpleasant condition of nausea. This syndrome not only negatively affects a woman’s well-being but also overall quality of life. In this article, we will discuss what nausea is and how to deal with it.
What is pregnancy nausea?
Pregnancy nausea is a pathological process in a woman’s body accompanied by metabolic disturbances. This syndrome appears in the first trimester of pregnancy. Its pronounced symptoms are nausea and vomiting.
Why do pregnant women experience nausea?
To put it in simple terms, this syndrome is a pathological reaction of the body to fetal growth in the womb. The following factors contribute to its appearance:
- Physical and emotional overload;
- Hormonal imbalance;
- Multiple pregnancies;
- Various types of chronic diseases;
- Diseases of the reproductive system.
How to relieve pregnancy nausea?
Unfortunately, if pregnancy nausea has already made itself known, it cannot be avoided. As we mentioned earlier, this is a response of the body to the development of the embryo. However, this syndrome can be corrected, and its severity can be reduced with the following methods:
- Diet correction;
- Regulation of wakefulness and sleep;
- Therapeutic physical exercise (TPE);
Let’s take a closer look at how the above methods can help alleviate pregnancy nausea.
Success in combating pregnancy nausea often lies in regulating the consumed food. It is recommended to establish a regime of frequent small meals. This way, the pregnant woman will receive a sufficient amount of energy evenly, without experiencing food shortages or overeating. It is also essential to consider the quality of the consumed products. Dietitians know how to alleviate pregnancy nausea in the early stages. They recommend following a balanced diet that includes food enriched with nutrients:
- High-protein foods, such as lean meat, fish, eggs, and legumes;
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables provide important vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C, folate, and iron;
- Whole grain foods can provide important nutrients such as fiber, B vitamins, and minerals.
- Spicy, salty, and smoked foods should be avoided. Recipes should exclude onions and garlic as they are harder to digest and can overload a woman’s body during pregnancy;
- Hydration is important and on average, a pregnant woman should drink about 2 liters of water per day. Freshly squeezed juices and teas are also acceptable, while coffee and carbonated drinks are recommended to be avoided.
If a pregnant woman does not know how to alleviate nausea caused by morning sickness in a crowded place, a mint candy can help. It can alleviate the symptoms of nausea and help avoid vomiting.
It is also important to maintain good hygiene habits: washing hands before eating, and properly handling fruits, vegetables, and meat.
Regulating wakefulness and sleep patterns
This condition often disrupts a woman’s usual sleep and wakefulness patterns. Hormonal changes can affect the quality and quantity of sleep, leading to physical and emotional exhaustion during hours recommended for activity. When these disruptions are accompanied by unpleasant episodes of nausea and vomiting, a woman may experience apathy and in some cases, even depression. The following recommendations can help alleviate the symptoms of morning sickness in terms of normalizing sleep patterns:
- Take walks in fresh air;
- Change position throughout the day;
- Relax before bedtime;
- Use an orthopedic mattress and pillow.
Important note! Some pregnant women consider taking sleeping pills before bed, not knowing how to relieve symptoms of morning sickness. Please be informed that the use of such drugs during pregnancy is strictly prohibited! Alternative to sleeping pills may be certain herbal remedies prescribed solely by a gynecologist.
Physical therapy is considered a good way to relieve nausea during pregnancy. Physical therapy can help improve the overall well-being of a pregnant woman, increase physical endurance, and enrich the blood with oxygen. To effectively combat the symptoms of morning sickness, it is necessary to discuss an individual plan for therapeutic exercises with a doctor, taking into account the woman’s health condition and possible risks.
Experts in the field of aromatherapy know how to relieve morning sickness during pregnancy. Essential oils have a wonderful healing effect in the fight against many diseases, including morning sickness. Aromas of such oils as ginkgo biloba, mint, and chamomile have sedative and anti-nausea effects. However, it is important to remember that some aromatherapy oils can be dangerous for pregnant women. If you want to use this method to combat morning sickness, consult with a doctor or aromatherapist. Experts even know how to relieve severe morning sickness by selecting the optimal type of essential oil.
Let’s fight morning sickness comprehensively!
Presenting to your attention a few general recommendations on how to relieve morning sickness during pregnancy:
- Take a warm shower or bath before bedtime to promote restful sleep.
- Frequently ventilate the room you are in.
- Keep a food diary to determine which foods cause nausea and vomiting.
- Try not to lie down for at least an hour after eating.
- Avoid strongly flavored and smelling foods that can cause nausea.
We would like to note that the above recommendations are related to how to relieve morning sickness in the first trimester of pregnancy. Preeclampsia, which is morning sickness in the last trimester of pregnancy, is observed and treated only under careful medical supervision.